As you get ready to file a 2022 tax return, you may have questions or need additional information. IRS.gov has tools and resources that can put the information you need at your fingertips. Below are some links worth keeping to give you guidance and provide answers this tax season.
- Let Us Help You This page has links to information and resources on a wide range of topics for both individual taxpayers and businesses.
- Online Account. An IRS Online Account lets taxpayers securely access their personal tax information, including tax return transcripts, payment history, certain notices, prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) and power of attorney information. They can also log in to verify if their name and address are correct. Taxpayers should notify the IRS if their address has changed. It’s also important taxpayers notify the Social Security Administration of a legal name change to avoid a delay in processing their tax return.
- IRS Free File. Most taxpayers can file their tax returns electronically for free using IRS Free File at gov/freefile. This program is available only through IRS.gov and offers brand-name tax preparation software packages at no cost. The software does all the work of finding deductions, credits and exemptions for filers. It’s free for those who qualify. Some IRS Free File packages also offer free state tax return preparation. Those who are comfortable preparing their own taxes can use Free File Fillable Forms, regardless of their income, to file their tax return.
- Find a tax professional. The Choosing a Tax Professional page on IRS.gov has a wealth of information to help filers find professional tax help. The Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications can help taxpayers find preparers in their area who hold professional credentials recognized by the IRS.
- Interactive Tax Assistant. The Interactive Tax Assistant tool answers many tax questions. It can determine if a type of income is taxable or if a taxpayer is eligible to claim certain credits or deductions. It also answers general questions such as determining whether a taxpayer needs to file, what their filing status is, or if they’re eligible to claim a dependent.
- Where’s My Refund?Taxpayers can use this tool to check the status of their refund. Current year refund information is usually available online within 24 hours after the IRS receives an e-filed tax return. Status on a paper return can take up to four weeks to appear. The tool updates once every 24 hours, usually overnight, so taxpayers need to check only once a day.
- Free Tax Assistance. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals.
Corporate Payroll Services is an IRS MeF-approved payroll provider with customer service scores well above our major competitors. Part of our service is handling your payroll taxes, payroll tax returns, ERC credits, and other financial items to make tax time easier for your small business.