In January, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a notice announcing a new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
USCIS has announced that as of January 31, 2020, employers should begin using Form I-9 with a version date of “Rev. 10/21/2019” to comply with their employment eligibility verification responsibilities.
Employers may continue using the prior version of Form I-9, “Rev. 07/17/2017 N” until April 30, 2020. USCIS is allowing employers this additional time to make necessary updates and adjust their business processes.
USCIS made the following changes to the form and instructions:
- Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1
- Revised the Issuing Authority in Section 2 to add Eswatini and Macedonia, North per those countries’ recent name changes.
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the Department of Homeland Security Privacy Notice
A revised Spanish version of Form I-9 with a version date of 10/21/2019 is available for use in Puerto Rico only.
Click here to view the new Form I-9 Updates.
Download a copy of the new Form I-9.
Updated Forms at Your Finger Tips.
Staying up-to-date on new forms can be difficult. “Come Aboard,” our automated HR Employee Onboarding application makes staying in compliance a lot easier. Click here to learn more about “Come Aboard” and to schedule your free demo.